Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 1 is done!

So today began with the first step of what is sure to be a long journey.  I flew from Boston to Washington D.C. for my Peace Corps orientation (or as it is called in Peace Corps lingo- staging).  I met my first fellow trainee in the boarding line at Logan airport.  She tapped me on the shoulder when she saw me carrying my blue Peace Corps folder containing all my important paperwork.  I am sure I made a great first impression, as I had uncontrollable tears and snot running down my face.  I promised her that I would compose myself on the plane ride and catch up with her in D.C.  And so I did, by using my tried and true best method of stress relief- I went to sleep!

The Staging event took place at a hotel in Washington D.C. from noon-7pm.  It was actually not as stressful as I had imagined.  We weren't too overloaded with information.  (Not today at least, but I am sure that day is to come!)  It was really great to meet most of my fellow trainees.  There are 70 of us from all across the U.S.  We will all be Education Volunteers in Ethiopia.  Some people seem to have lots of experience living abroad and some significantly less.  We did several group activities, and it was so reassuring to realize that we all have the same fears and anxieties.  We are all nervous about learning a new language and not being about to communicate.  Luckily, I am not the only one who has barely studied my Amharic.  We are all worried about fitting in and wondering "what if nobody likes me?".  We also all have the same hopes and aspirations for our Peace Corps service.  We all care about promoting peace and friendship.  We all want to be effective volunteers and teachers while also learning and assimilating into a new culture.  It was such an encouragement to be in a room full of people who can completely relate to my experiences and every emotion I've had along the way for the past several months.

The past few weeks have been so difficult saying goodbye to family and friends- everyone I love, packing for 2 years in just 2 suitcases, wondering if I've made the right decision to go to Africa.  I know that things are about to get a whole lot harder before they get better, but I am happy.  I am finally getting to do what I've been working towards for the past 15 months!  I feel confident (for the moment) and excited and ready to take on the challenges that lay ahead. Is it lay ahead or lie ahead?? I can't wait to be an English teacher! I'm gonna learn 'em kids some real good English! Watch out Ethiopia!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo, I figured out how to officially "follow your blog" and I can comment! Hope you're having a great time! xo

    ReplyDelete